Frequently Asked Questions

Terms and Procedures
Who is my Advisor?
Go to the Registrar website, Home->My registrar->Personal schedule. On this webpage, in the upper left corner, you will find Academic Info. There is information about your advisor(s).
What is the Academic Calendar?
The Academic Calendar contains all important dates of the semester/year. It is updated regularly. Please, visit the Registrar website under “Quick Links”, choose the academic year and NU Undergraduate.
What is a Student Requests Module?

It is a new module that became available in Fall 2020 for students at myRegistrar. It contains a list of forms like Retake, Transfer between Schools/Majors, Course Withdrawal, Leave of Absence etc. 

Please, refer to the updated Manual on the Student Requests at the Registrar website–> on the left bottom corner -> Resources -> and in the list of available User Manuals, pick the most updated the Student Requests Form Manual where you find step by step instruction.

Where can I find the Student Code of Conduct?
Please, read the document here.
How to apply for Leave of Absence, Dismissal and Voluntary Withdrawal?
Please, meet with your advisor to discuss your intentions. Before the meeting, you could inform yourself by reading the Regulations on Leave of Absence, Dismissal and Voluntary Withdrawal
What does Degree Requirements mean?
  • To graduate with a Bachelor’s degree within the four-year scholarship award, students are required to earn a minimum of 240 ECTS or as designated by each School.  
  • Degree program requirements are usually updated every year, and may include changes. 

These updates are published once a year in the Undergraduate handbook. Please, visit the Registrar website or Academic Advising Office website or the School website.

What is Core Curriculum?
Undergraduate Core Curriculum Framework (UCCF) was designed to create common curricular elements that unite to deliver a common educational experience to all NU students, leaving an indelible NU brand and ensuring all of our undergraduates develop the knowledge, skills and attributes that will position them for future success. For more details and list of UCC courses please check your Academic Handbook.
Class Attendance
Is class attendance required?
  • Students are expected to attend all classes in courses for which they are registered at the University.
  • Penalties, as set forth in relevant internal documents of the University, will be applied if attendance falls below that stated in course syllabi or Handbooks.
  • Students are required to be present at the beginning of the semester or term and to remain until the semester or term is completed (which includes final examinations).
  • Students who do not attend classes from the first day may be penalized or dropped from the class based on the relevant Handbook.
  • Students who exceed the maximum number of absences in the current and previous semester or term, as defined in the Handbook will not be eligible for University sponsored study abroad programs or other University sponsored events.
  • At the start of the semester or term, each instructor is responsible for informing students in the course documentation of the attendance policy, its impact on their learning opportunities and on their potential grade.
  • Faculty has the right to lower grades or initiate a drop/withdrawal from a course if there is a violation of the attendance policy.
  • Only the instructor may approve a student’s request to be absent from class.
  • In the event of a dispute, the matter may be reported to the Vice Dean of the School. The determination of the Vice Dean shall be final.
How can I prove my medical condition to have an excuse for absence?

If you have the medical certificate from other medical organizations, you should verify it to have an excuse for absence. To do that you need to send a high-quality (with good resolution) image of the certificate to: and Image of spravka must have good resolution so UHC can read stamps and the following details that should be stated in the email. 

Email subject should be: Student’s name_School_Year_Spravka

Please, indicate the following information: city, name of the clinic, contacts, name of the doctor and his/her contacts, your contact, ID and IIN.

Academic Standing and GPA
What is Good Academic Standing?

A student having a CGPA and GPA of a 2.00 or above is considered to be in Good Academic Standing.

How to calculate my GPA and CGPA?

The Cumulative GPA (CGPA) is computed by dividing the total cumulative grade points by the total graded credits attempted for courses taken in residence at NU. Grade points are calculated by multiplying the number of credits by the numeric value of the grade for each course. The sum of the grade points is then divided by the total graded credits attempted. The total graded credits attempted, not the credits earned toward graduation, are used in computing the GPA. Login into MyRegistrar -> choose GPA Calculator module.  

For more details, please refer to the Registrar’s website -> Undergraduate Students -> Grades & GPA

What GPA do I need to keep my stipend?
Students who have GPA 2.33 and above receive stipend and increased stipend for GPA 3.67 and above.
What is the Dean’s list?
Every semester the Dean’s list recognizes students who achieved a 3.75 GPA or higher. This award will be posted on the student transcript at the end of any semester in which this is awarded.
What is Academic Warning?
A student with 3 (three) or more NS grades is placed on Academic Warning after the mid-term status reports are submitted. This status warns the student that he/she is at risk of being placed on academic probation at the end of the semester. Notification of Academic Warning will be sent by the Office to the student, the School’s Vice Dean and the student’s advisor. The student will be advised to limit his/her social activities during this period and may not be considered for University sponsored travel.
What is Academic Probation?

A student who fails to satisfy conditions for Good Academic Standing (GPA 2.00) at the end of Fall and Spring semesters, will be placed on Academic Probation. Students who are progressed on a conditional basis are required to achieve a GPA of 2.00 or above during their first semester as a student. Under no circumstances may a student be on Academic Probation more than 2 (two) consecutive semesters or for more than 3 (three) semesters in total. 

Grades received at the end of Summer term will not affect a student’s academic standing, unless it is their final term of study.

The AAO offers the Academic Probation Support Program for students in need.

How to choose the right major?

It is a very important decision that you have to make during your student life. You can always make an appointment with your Advisor to discuss the choice of the major. Some general questions to ask yourself: 

  • What are your interests? 
  • What are you good at? 
  • What subjects/hobbies/services have you really enjoyed studying/doing?
  • What kind of future career path are you considering? 
  • Read through the program of your potential major in your Academic Handbook. You can find a list of required courses and a recommended 4-year schedule of classes. 

Check out the AAO Youtube Channel with many videos from Major Month, where current NU students share their experiences on how they made their decisions.

How can I transfer between Majors/Schools?

First, meet with your Advisor, where you will be informed about the procedure. Your Advisor will have updated information on transfer requirements that may change for the specific semester when you are planning to transfer. Please, visit the School website you wish to transfer and make yourself familiar with future major (program, course requirements and future perspectives), talk to senior students of this major and try your best to make an informed decision about your major.

Transfer will go into effect in the following semester after approval of the application.

How can I declare a minor?
Rules governing the declaration of a student’s minor will be made by each School and specified in the Academic  Handbook. Check your Handbook for available minors and their course requirements. Minors must be declared by the end of the first semester of the student’s 4th year. Please, remember minors do not provide priorities for registration.
What is a double major?
A double major is a program of study that meets the requirements of two distinct majors in a single Bachelor’s degree. A double major may only consist of two fields of study. Only one program will be considered as primary. Please, remember double majors do not provide priorities for registration.
Course Registration
How to register for courses online?

The “Course registration” module is where students register for courses online. For more details, follow the instructions provided in: 

How to register for courses online? Watch the tutorial    

How to understand the registration requirements (priorities and requisites)? Watch the tutorial 

How to interpret the notations and terms in the course schedule by Schools? Watch the tutorial

If I have specific questions about Registration or Course withdrawal, whom shall I contact?
For general inquiries, please write to For specific questions about Schedule, Registration, Retake issues, Transfer of credits, and Transfer between Schools and Majors, please write to
What is Registration Priority, PreRequisite/ CoRequisite/ Antirequisite for the course?

Some courses have registration priorities which open registration only for a specific group of students. Priorities are based on School/year of study/major. For students outside of the current priority, such courses will be marked in red in the “Course registration” module. 

Prerequisite – course required to be taken prior registration and then graded not less than passing grade. In some cases it can be replaced with special requirements (if listed) such as department placement test, high score in related CPS course, etc.

Corequisite – course which should be taken concurrently (or prior) registration. If the corequisite was taken before then it has to be graded not less than corequisite passing grade.

Antirequisite – equivalent or advanced course taken before that forbids registration for the course. 

Passing grade – grade established for each type of requisite within one School. 

First priority – category of students who can register first. Second priority – category of students who register after first priority category. Blank(not defined) priority – course is open for all students.

List of priorities and requisites is available under the “Quick links” section on -> Course list with requirements 

Where can I find a general schedule with a list of sections, instructors and time slots?
What is a Waiting List (WL)?
There is a Waiting list (WL) option available for those courses which are fully occupied. If the course capacity is full and has a WL, a student can register for the WL the same way as for a regular course. If somebody drops the course, the first student on the WL will be automatically registered for the course. A corresponding email will be sent to the student.
What courses should I take?
Consult with your advisor and refer to the relevant section of your Academic Handbook on course requirements by Schools. 
How do I identify if a course is applicable toward the Humanities/Social Science/ Technical electives requirements?

The updates to the list of Social Science and Humanities electives have been made and come into force strating from Spring’21. The list of electives can be found in Academic Handbook

Technical electives differ depending on your major. For this information, please refer to your Academic Handbook

NOTE, that these requirements should be completed outside of your major. For example, an ANT student should choose ECON, PLS or SOC, etc. courses to fulfil Social Sciences elective requirements.

What should I do if I have time conflicts between courses required for my major and minor?
NU does not provide any priority for double major/minor requirement courses. Given that minor declaration is optional, it is the student’s responsibility to build their schedule based on major and minor requirements.
Why is registration for some of the Kazakh language courses closed for me?
Registration for the Kazakh language courses is based on student’s language level verified by the Kazakh Language and Turkic Studies department at SSH. For any questions, please contact the Kazakh language department coordinator Saule Mussabekova at
When should I click the “Send to advisor” button during the registration period?
Click the “Send to advisor” button only if your schedule is complete. Please, note that your schedule has to be approved until the end of Add period. 
I’ve made my schedule and sent an approval request to my advisor. What is next?
Please wait–when your schedule is approved/rejected, you will receive an automatic notification by email. If you don’t receive any email, please contact your advisor. 
What should I do if my request was denied?

Make adjustments in your schedule taking into consideration the rejection statement from your advisor.

What if I want to change my schedule after advisor’s approval?
Contact your advisor to remove a hold from your registration. 
What is the Maximum and Minimum number of credits I can take?

Maximum credits to be enrolled – 36 ECTS

Minimum credits to be enrolled – 24 ECTS

Under exceptional circumstances, a student may be permitted to enroll for fewer than 24 ECTS credits or more than 36 ECTS credits if received written permission from the Dean of their School and from the Vice-Provost for Academic Affairs.

How many courses can I take in Summer term?

In summer term students are allowed to take maximum TWO courses (up to 16 ECTS). If you are doing an internship, then only one course for registration is allowed.

How to Add/Drop courses?
Go to My Registrar and “Course registration” module, which is available during the registration period. Then “Go to the selected courses”. Add courses by choosing appropriate time-slots and clicking on the “register” button. If you want to drop the course, simply click on the “X” in the right corner of the course block.
What is the Administrative Drop?
An administrative drop occurs when a student has failed to attend the first week of any class for which they have completed registration and appear on the class roster. This process is initiated by the appropriate School to which this course belongs.
What is the last day of the Add/Drop period?

All dates and deadlines are listed in the Academic Calendar at the Registrar website under “Quick Links”, choose the academic year and NU Undergraduate.

Can I add the course after the Add period?
No courses can be added after the Add period. 
Can I drop the course after Drop period?

After Drop period there is a Withdrawal period when dropping the course is called Withdrawal. It differs from the simple drop since it records a “W” note in your transcript.

How can I withdraw from a course?

A student may withdraw from a course prior to the Withdrawal deadline as stated in the official Academic Calendar. A “W” appears on the transcript when a course is withdrawn. A “W” does not affect the GPA or CGPA.

To do so, meet your Advisor first to discuss your options. Then, go to My Registrar -> Student Requests -> Course Withdrawal Form

How many courses can I withdraw?
There is no limit on how many courses a student can withdraw , unless a student maintains minimum credits per semester (minimum 24 ECTS). BUT, a student will not be allowed to withdraw from a course in which he/she has taken a grade of “W” in a previous semester.
How many courses can I retake during four years?
Any student who receives a grade that would prevent academic progress in their program of study may retake that course. There is no limit to the number of times a student may retake a course, or the number of eligible courses for which retakes are permitted. 
How does retake affect my GPA?
All attempts will remain in the student record and on the transcript, and will be counted towards semester’s GPA, semester CGPA, semester earned credits, semester attempted credits and total attempted credits. Only the last retake will be counted in the final CGPA and total earned credits. 
Additional Support Services
What kind of internship/ research/ extracurricular opportunities do we have at NU?

Please, refer to Career Advising Center CAC for the future career perspectives, internship and other career opportunities. You can also make an appointment with the CAC manager for the personal consultancy. 

Also, our Peer Advisors had a series of webinars where current NU students are sharing their Internships, Research, NU Student life and external academic experiences. How to find and where to look for such opportunities? Check out MentorCon Videos 

Joining a student club or organization is a great way to make new friends and expand your network. Please check out the list of Student Clubs and contact those you might be interested about. For joining student clubs or learn about extracurricular activities for students at the university, please refer to the Student Portal ( or send an email to or

How to support my mental well-being?
Health and Wellness Center helps students to reach a state of positive mental health. It provides a safe and confidential environment to help students to discover any issues that may interfere with their well-being, happiness, or effectiveness. Commonly addressed concerns include but are not limited to relationships, stress, self-esteem, body image, sexuality, anxiety, and depression.
What University resource could be of additional help for me?
Please check  Other useful contacts on our website. 
COVID-19 support for students

NU provides support to certain groups of students during COVID-19. Eligibility criteria for accommodation during COVID-19:

  • Socially Vulnerable Group: SVC students, who provided documented evidence justifying their need to return on Campus (i.e. health status or financial hardship, for students from large families – residency documents confirming the area of house/apartment, and the number of registered residents);
  • International students;
  • Special cases justified by documented evidence (i.e. health status or financial hardship that require relocation to campus; serious family circumstances that posed a threat to safety of a student).

If you would like to apply for accommodation, please, send your request to Please, be kindly informed that according to the current safety measures, only an extremely limited number of places are provided for students (no more than 200 students in total will be able to receive accommodation).

DSA also provides assistance to a limited number of students with difficulties with internet routers or laptops. contact email:

Email us

For further questions, visit your Advisor or email us at